Boston on the Go - a Bostonian guide to keeping yourself busy and in the know. Ideas on things to do, places to shop & dine, and what to talk about when you're out and about in the Boston area.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Music Picks

Let's be real...as the snow piles up here in Boston (the idea of using my car doesn't sound fun right now) there are more things you want to do inside than out...for example, last weekend while I was sick I watched LA Confidential, License to Drive, Food Network and this was all with basic cable. Very nice.

Anyhoo, sometimes music can warm you up even when your body is not...so what will I be listening to while I shovel myself out today? Check these bands/artists out:

Side Note: All these can be found on iTunes.

Rock/Alternative (many of these were recommended by a hip friend. He's proving 30 is the new 20):
1. Tokyo Police Club - The album is short and sweet and full of drums. I would download "Be Good" and "Nature of the Experiment".
2. Vampire Weekend - Columbia grads rock it. Download - "Campus" and "A-Vamp"
3. Band of Horses - I sampled briefly the band's first album, but the sophomore effort "Cease to Exist" that sounded better to me. Download - "No One's Gonna Love You" and "Is There a Ghost"
4. The Cribs - As my friend said, if you like the Strokes (and to be honest, a little of the beats remind me of old school REM), check this band out. I got really excited sampling them I downloaded the whole album. And, the best, the new album's name? "Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever." Whatever indeed. Download - "Men's Needs", "Women's Needs", "Girls Like Mystery"...or the whole album. :)
5. 1990s- Album cover for "Cookies" is so throw back to the 80s (not the 90s) but their songs are fun. But I like "You Made Me Like It"
6. Rogue Wave - New Album is "Asleep At Heaven's Gate" and sounds good. But the instrumental beginning to "Harmonium" is great. I can only imagine this song live being totally awesome and rad. Yes, rad. Bring rad back, like sexy has. From previous albums - "Publish My Love" and the song released as a single "Eyes."
7. Shout Out Louds - Swedish rockers have a lot of fun. From their first album, get "The Comeback" and from their newer album, get "Tonight I Have to Leave It".
8. Nada Surf - I love this band. Mostly their old stuff, though the new album has some interesting tracks. Old school songs like "Blankest Year" rock, "Inside of Love" either makes you want to hug someone or cry, "The Way You Way Your Head" is a head bopper. On the new album, "Whose Authority", "Beautiful Beat" and "Weightless" win my picks.
9. The Thrills - Their second album came out right before the holidays, but if you ever want to feel like your in Cali when your not, "Big Sur" will do the trick. "Teenager" the newest album, is a fun listen.

Pop/Hip-hop and R&B and everything else:
1. Rihanna...not everything. "Please Don't Stop the Music" has been overplayed, but New York was already playing her JT produced track "Rehab" in January, which usually means it gets here in March. And it doesn't sound like Amy's but more like any JT ballad you don't admit you love...in public. ;)
2. Kate Nash - I mentioned her on the blog before - she's BFFs with Lily Allen, so really, what's not to love. Download "Foundations", "Pumpkin Soup" and "D******d".
3. Lori McKenna - she is probably not pop, but more country. But her newest album, is "Unglamorous" and man those songs are well written. "Witness to Your Life" and "I'm Not Crazy" and "Your Next Lover" help heal those achy, breaky, hearts and make you want it broken all over again.
4. I have heard good things about the new Goldfrapp album coming out soon.
5. Chris Brown - after you switch the channel during "Kiss Kiss" and "With You" download "Down" feat Kanye West.
6. Bow Wow and Omarion - "Girlfriend" hit its peak, but "He Ain't Gotta Know" will get you ready for the summer jams.
7. Sean Kingston - I HATED Beautiful Girls...but "Take Your There" as much as it's played, makes me want to dance every freakin' time. Now, that's a good song...even if it talks about taking me to the slums of the West Indies, which for some reason I'm dying to go to now.
8. Chrisette Michele - Vh1's "Artist to Watch" hits a nice note with "Best of Me"
9. The Dream - Shawty is the Shit. But "Luv Songs" is the song to go to 3rd base with.
10. T.I. - "Tell 'Em I Said That" or the Wyclef song he is featured on, "Slow Down"
11. Justin Timberlake - "Sexy Ladies" just cause. :)
12. Mark Ronson - producer of trades went solo with friends and I still can't get enough of his Robbie Williams featured song, "The Only One I Know"
13. Kanye West - On "Graduation," the newest album - "Good Morning", "Champion"
14. Flo Rida - And no, I'm not recommending "Low" the most overplayed song on the hip hop and pop charts. I never want to see apple bottom jeans...but I will recommend the newest song he did with Timbaland, "Elevator", cause soon instead of "ella, ella" meaning "Umbrella" its going to mean "Elevator"
15. Lupe Fiasco - his first album "Food & Liquor" made me remember why I love hip hop, and his second album "The Cool" is just adding to that. Don't have "Superstar" yet? download it. Others to get - "Paris, Toyko", "Gold Watch", "Fighters" and "Hi-Definition"...last one features Snoop.
16. Speaking of Snoop, his new single "Senual Seduction" is a fun throw back to the 70s. And, considering I love his reality show on E! featuring his family, I gotta give a shout out to D-O-double G.

What are your recommendations? Post people. The more you know, the more you grow.

Alright, see everyone tomorrow when I blog live during the Oscars.

0 Comments: